Upcoming Readings & Assignments
- For next series of readings (in computer history):
- Read the essay (selections) by Vannevar Bush as a principal statement of its times about the possible future of information technology.
- Read the histories of computing with attention to:
- Main technical developments (need to know only the standout developments–e.g., the Univac computer and most famous machines (but not the detail of all the other machines, technologies, etc.), the rise of the ARPAnet and Internet, etc.
- Conceptual and logical principles (e.g., von Neumann computer, stored program computer, networking)
- The main historical narrative of the rise of the computer.
- For the reading assignment about HTML, just look through the document to get an orientation about how HTML works.
- Get started reading the novel, Thomas Pynchon’ The Crying of Lot 49
- First essay assignment
The Communications Revolution & the Digital Principle (continued)
Computer Revolution (1) History of the Computer