Who We Are
Main course site
Supplementary GauchoSpace site
Enrollment process (for students on wait list, crashing, or switching sections)
Through the end of the first week of instruction (through the end of Friday April 2), students on the wait list in GOLD will be auto-added to the course enrollment when spaces open up.
After Friday April 2, auto-add from the wait list will be turned off. From that point on, the course TAs will give add codes depending on available spaces to those on the wait list or those wishing to crash the course (and also to enrolled students who wish to switch sections.)
Important for students need to switch sections or who are not yet enrolled in the course: To assist the TAs in managing section-switching and enrollment requests, please fill out this Google enrollment request form between Friday April 2 at 2pm and Sunday April 4 at 10pm if you are:
- enrolled in the course but need to switch sections,
- on the wait list and hope to enroll,
- not on the wait list and hope to crash the course.
How this remote-instruction version of the course will work
Readings (see Texts for English 25)
- To take best advantage of Professor Liu’s lectures, please read the readings on the Schedule before the lecture for which they are assigned.
- Live lectures: Professor Liu will use Zoom to deliver live lectures at the regular M, W, F time of the course (1:00-1:50 pm, Pacific Daylight Time). The lectures will always be at the same Zoom meeting ID. A passcode is also required to join the live Zoom meetings beginning after March 29. The passcode is provided on the GauchoSpace course site.
- Note: English 25 live Zoom lectures will be recorded for students who may not be able to attend at the lecture time. By default, your microphone and camera will be muted when you join the session. If you do not want to be included in the recording, simply keep your camera and microphone off.
- Recordings of lectures and PowerPoint slides: Because student circumstances and schedules may be disrupted during COVID-19, it is important that those unable to watch live lectures can catch up with them in recorded form. Professor Liu will thus record his live Zoom lectures and as soon as possible upload them to a folder in GauchoCast (with links to individual lectures linked on the GauchoSpace course site). In addition, Professor Liu will upload his PowerPoint slides after each lecture to GauchoSpace.
- Note: while Professor Liu will start the process of uploading his recorded lectures to GauchoCast as soon after each lecture as possible, it sometimes takes a long time for the GauchoCast servers to “process” the videos and make them available for viewing.
- Sections for this COVID-19 version of the course will proceed primarily through asynchronous means (discussion forums in GauchoSpace), though the TAs will hold a few synchronous, real-time section meetings.
- TAs will provide the syllabi and instructions for their sections. The main activities expected of students in sections will be to participate weekly in the discussion forums (presenting summaries of readings on some weeks, and responding to readings and other students summaries on the other weeks).
- “Attendance” for sections means participating in a section’s asynchronous activities. Attendance at any real-time section meetings can be excused if a student has difficulties related to their location, circumstances, or technology.
- Students on the wait list or crashing should wait until they are enrolled in the course (if enrollment is possible) and then complete the initial assignment the following week.
- Professor Liu will hold office hours over Zoom on Wednesdays, 2:00-3:00 at the Zoom meeting address: https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/796874043 (Meeting ID: 796 874 043). Students will be placed in the Zoom “waiting room” and admitted by the professor into the meeting with him individually one after the other, except that some office hours may start with a collective Q&A session.
- TAs will let their sections know about their office hours.
Lecture 1: The Idea and Structure of the Course
Readings for next class (on Schedule page)
PowerPoint for lecture.